How to sync Zoom F8 to Tentacle or sync Tentacle to Zoom F8

19.97K viewsHardwareZoomF8

Hi – please can you advise (A) how to sync the Zoom F8 to a TentacleSync Tentacle and (B) how to sync a TentacleSync Tentacle to the Zoom F8.  Tried every setting and failed.  For example, when starting Tentacle in Red-Mode and connecting it to the recorder’s Time Code Out BNC, the Tentacle’s light starts to flash red in a steady rhythm, but never changes to green to indicate that it has synced and switched to Green-Mode.  I have tried setting the F8 to Internal free run mode for that and have tried setting it to External mode in order to try to sync it to a Tentacle.  Luck with any of those attempts.

Please help.

Alex

Answered question

Hi Alex,

We also have a Zoom F8 and we don’t have that issues you are describing.

For feeding Tentacle by the F8 please check following settings:

• frame rates must be the same!
  • Set F8 (Mode:) to Int Free/RTC Run

Which adapter cable (3.5mm<>BNC) do you use?

For feeding your F8 by Tentacle:

• frame rates must be the same!
  • Set F8 (Mode:) to Ext and Ext Continous: On

Now you should see the the Ext TC at TIMECODE Menu.

I hope it helps.

For faster and direct support please write us to: support@tentaclesync.com

Best, Max

Thank you!  The issue was the F8’s frame rates not being properly set.  Once properly set, it all worked fine.

Best,

Alex

I’ve had a “problem” when using my F8 and tentacle where it appears they are one frame apart. Not sure if this is actually an issue or just the display??

Important to note! As a newbie I realized for the sync to work with my F8 Tentacle needs to be set at line level.

Jose, you’re a lifesaver.  I tried for hours to get my Zoom F4 to read Ext timecode sync from my Tentacle.

Then when I went back into the setup on my iPhone and changed the level from MIC to LINE it worked fine.

So again for anyone else’s benefit –

Tentacle Sync as timecode source for ZOOM F4:

1.  Set TSync module to LINE level.
  2.  Ensure correct jack to BNC cable
  3. Follow steps in Zoom F4 user manual on how to setup EXT timecode sync.
  4. Voila’ you’re in business.

When the Zoom F8 and Tentacle Sync are setup there is no audio timecode recorded.  They are indeed in sync, but without that audio timecode recorded onto an audio track Tentacle Sync Studio has no way of syncing the files.  How is this accomplished?

The TC is written as metadata. It’s more common for programs to read TC this way than as audio TC.

In fact, I’m experiencing the same problem as nick ager;
the sync is of by 1 frame…
Thoughts?
Thank you!

Answered question

The question is; is the display a reliable way to see if there is an offset?
It might very well have a latency!
What you can do is record the timecode ALSO on an audiotrack, using an Y-splitter. If you load the file and you see the same offset in Tentacle Sync Studio between File -TC and Audio-TC you know there is a problem somewhere.

Answered question

Thank you Fokke van Saane for your insights. I’m going to try this and will keep you posted. Will have to get me an Y-splitter first though 😉
Cheers,
Tim

Answered question

I’m seeing exactly same potential problem as Nick Ager and Tim Luyten: the internal timecode is 1 frame higher than the external timecode. Did anyone find out if this is a display issue or a real issue? I’m on Zoom f8n pro, and it happens whether the Zoom is in Ext Cont mode or Int Free run (with a recent Jam). I notice that all three of us are using 25fps and wonder if that’s related or a coincidence.

Answered question

With regards to the timecode being offset by 1 frame; it’s (fortunately) merely a display issue.
I’ve tested this extensively and also discussed with Tentacle Support.

Don’t worry about it. It won’t affect your workflow.

Take care,

Tim

Answered question

Thanks, Tim – much appreciated! Dean

Answered question