Panasonic gh5 sync issue

5.17K viewsHardware

We are preparing our workflow for a feature and unfortunately are having trouble auto syncing in Avid MC. The Panasonic GH5 consistently has an audio pre roll of 7 frames at the beginning of each recorded clip where there is no audio signal recorded. We think this is a pre roll type buffer which we can’t figure a fix for. Has anyone come across this issue and found a solution?

Many thanks

It’s true that in a clip, made by the GH5 (also GH4), the sound starts recording after 5 – 7 frames. Especially when you hold the release button this occurs.

I did a test with Tentacle on my GH5 and the Zoom H5 recorder. I took some shots with my finger on the release button. A Rode mic and the Tentacle where attached via the Y-cable to the camera.

The clips and the sound record where synced in Tentacle Sync Studio. The XML is exported to PCPX.

It is all perfectly synced without any corrections. The wave forms of the movie and the audio recording match perfect.

Try it yourself!

Tentacle Sync Studio can look at timecode anywhere in the file. My default setting is in the middle. But it looks like AvidMC is looking at the first frame(s). I am not sure, but that is what i conclude by your findings.

What you could do is an extra step; first convert the GH5 material in TSS and then import in AvidMC and auto-sync in MC. It is possible to sync in TSS but i would rather not; AAF is a hassle and adding the sound to the clips makes you loose audio handles.