Tentacle Studio exported xml for davinci resolve

2.53K viewsSoftware60fps conversion Davinci Resolve

This questions has been touched on before, but my dilemma is a bit different.

I shot some footage with 2 cameras at 59.94fps, both using the SyncE set at 29.97fps. I know how to update TC from audio within Davinci Resolve, but does not work correctly due to the frame rate differences.

I read on a Tentacle support page, that Tentacle Studio software can convert the 30 fps Audio TC to 60 fps File TC. Which I’ve done. As we all know, we have the option of exporting a Premiere or FCPX XML file.

Short of having Tent Studio export all my clips w/ embedded TC, does anyone have any tips, tricks, work-arounds on how to update my files in Resolve with the new TC metadata?

I do have FCPX, so maybe I’ll try creating a sync’d timeline in there, then export/import into Resolve. Would rather have a more direct approach if at possible, of course.

Answered question

Hello Innesfilms,

Unfortunately, no. I haven’t found a direct solution to apply Tentacle Studio XML files to clips imported into Davinci Resolve.

But, through a happy surprise, I’ve have changed my workflow, somewhat.

I had a boat load of clips from a wedding video project, shot on Sony A7SIII and FX3, in SLOG3 @ 59.94fps. Imported them into Tentacle Studio, then converted the SyncE 29.94 audio TC to 59.94 meta TC to match the actual frame rates. Then exported all those files to ProRes. Imported those ProRes files into Resolve, applied an Allistair Venice LUT, some other minor tweaks, and the colors came out, IMO, WONDERFUL! So smooth and cinema-like tones. A very happy surprise.

All the ProRes clips synced nicely, and was able to easily build a multi-cam video.

Yes, this means the overall project file size pretty much doubled, with raw clips plus exported ProRes clips. But, once I was sure I didn’t need the raw MP4’s, they were deleted.

I would very much still like to see Tentacle create a solution for our issue, as I don’t want to ALWAYS have to go through the trouble of converting raw clips to ProRes. When we have 400+ GB of files to convert, the process can take many hours.

Hopefully someone else will chime in with a solution.

Answered question
You are viewing 1 out of 3 answers, click here to view all answers.