still can’t sync sd 633 with tentacle

8.54K viewsHardware

Mein Fs 7 mkIi nimmt sofort das TC vom Tentacle an und die SD 633 nimmt auch das TC von der FS7 mkII  per BNC auch problemlos an. Daher nehme ich an , dass alle Kabel  in Ordnung sind und der Tentacle einwandfrei funktioniert. Dennoch ignoriert der SD 633 das Signal direkt vom Tentacle  egal wie man wie man das TC Mode einstellt. Im “Jam Received TC” fenster sieht man auch auch nicht das TC oben bei “received TC”.

Es sieht fast so aus, als ob das TC Signal nicht lesbar wäre. Was tun?

Grüße

Peter

Careful in the sense that you overload it, yes. But i don’t think you break the circuit in there with line level output from the Tentacle.

That’s good to know, because i was wondering how the auto would know what is expected from him- would have to be a good mind reader, i thought.  Normally “auto” would be used in input circuitry,  not on  an output .

Just to confuse things though , there are consumer cameras without mic- power on the jack, like the Canon HF G40 , so you’d have to be careful here.

That’s why i enable Auto Output Level. Then it is always on LINE unless it senses a DC from a DSLR mic input.

Must say i was wrong about Sound Devices , a delayed mail from them commented on the low level of my Tc recording, which needed to be normalised before the SD 633 recognised it! They nailed it aswell.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   GOT IT   !!!!!!!!!!!!

The output level on the tentacle was too low. High enough for the camera, which was why everything appeared to be fine, cables an’ all, but the sound devices needs a higher signal level than my fs7 to be able to sync.  Now I  have it set nearer to the line level.

Sorry folks. Even sound devices didn’t think  of this, so it’s something to watch out for on set, if you can’t access the tentacle via the app. Get it set the night before, because you can’t tell otherwise how high the output level is. What’s worse,  is that it might only work with the camera  and drive you completely nuts.

Good night all

Peter Dix

Gerlingen

Germany

Yes there is an arrow pointing towards the Lemo Plug and it also says LTC-IN. As already said the cable works when feeding a TC via BNC from a camera.  I have also checked the 3,5mm / BNC connection cable from the tentacle by syncing a camera with it – it also works. Please assume for arguments sake, that all the cables are in order and the tentacle is working correctly.

Could it be a protocol problem? Have there been other reports of a 633 not understanding the TC. Work along these lines.

I will also now contact sound devices and send them a sound file of the TC, to see what they say.

Thanks

Peter

Is there an arrow on the demo cable showing the direction of the signal flow?

I am using the “In” cable which works perfectly well with a hard wire connection to the TC out of a  Fs7. This way I know, it’s not the cable that is the problem. If I remove the bnc and replace it with the tentacle, then no Tc is readable.

Do you use the correct Lemo cable? They come in two variants; an input and an output cable.