Syncing (Genlocking) Arri Alexas from a Tentacle

9.94K viewsHardwaregenlock sync

As all the current Arri cameras (Alexa, Alexa Mini and Amira) can Genlock or sync from the timecode stream from a lock box, they can of course do so from a Tentacle. For long concert recordings where sync is important to prevent drift, I normally use another brand of lock box for this, and a client of mine is a bit worried about trying it with something so small as a Tentacle. We see a lot of Alexa Minis on hand held or steadicam rigs lately. The camera operators would prefer Tentacles!

I’d like to be able to tell him of people that are using Tentacles to Sync Arris in real life.Is anyone here doing this over longer takes (10min-90min) with success? The only post here I could find about this they were having trouble with green flashes, but I think their Tentacles were on the wrong framerate.

Hi Nick,

there is really no difference between Tentacle Sync and Ambient Lockits when connecting them via a 5pin LEMO to a  camera. When the Genlock to TC-IN setting works with Ambient, it does work with Tentacle too. 5 Pin LEMOs do only carry timecode signal, there is no pin for Genlock inside the LEMO.

Best,
Ulrich

You are viewing 1 out of 4 answers, click here to view all answers.