Tentacle Sync E, and Canon XC10

Hi,

I recently bought a tentacle sync E, and I would like to use it on my Canon XC10. However, I can only get one channel of sound, namely the timecode channel, the microphone channel seems not to give any signal. My setup will allow me not to use the scratch audio from the tentacle sync E, but the scratch audio would provide me with one more way of syncing if for some reason the timecode would not work.

Best regards, Johan

Answered question

Is this a question for the Tentacle Forum or for a XC10 forum?

I don’t know the XC10 at all. i just googled it.

The tip of the 3.5mm plug on the SyncE is timecode, the ring is the build in microphone. So a stereo to stereo minijack connection should just work.

If you can’t record both audio signals on the XC10 it might be a XC10 issue, right?

Answered question

Hi, Fokke van Saane, and thank you for your quick reply.

The XC10 works just fine when I plug in a regular stereo microphone (TRS), a sony ECM-MS907.

I have also tried to plug the tentacle sync E into my GoPro 6 with external sound interface, with exactly the same behaviour as with the XC10. Also the GoPro works just fine with the sony ECM-MS907.

So I do believe that the “error” is on the tentacle side, but it might not be an error, it might be something about the type of microphone which is inside the tentacle or something, and how it is powered?

I certainly can use one of the channels of the sony as a scratch microphone, but it would be less hassle to use the built-in microphone from the tentacle.

All the best,
Johan

Answered question

Hello Johan,
From the manual:

The built-in microphone can only be used, when working at mic levels with plugin power switched on at camera side.

So, yes, the mic needs power from the camera. Can you enable that in the menu of the XC10?

Answered question

Hi Fokke,

Thank you very much. This is the solution, and it does seem like the XC10 is not capable of providing power. What I will do is to make a y-connection 2*TRS (female) to 1 TRS (male), and route signal from one channel of my sony microphone, and the timecode from tentacle to the other channel channel, to the camera. Its not the most elegant way, but it works. Thank you! So after all, it was a camera problem, not a tentacle problem, as you first noted 🙂

Cheers,

Johan

Answered question

How handy it would have been if the SyncE could supply the power for the mic by himself.

Answered question